Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Publication Date: December 22, 2009
Versions: hardcover, kindle, audio

Summary (from barnesandnoble.com):
Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.


The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.


The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.

I was waiting for this book for a few months to come out. I came across it in the first place off of Bree Despain (the author's) website. The Dark Divine is her first book, and hopefully not her last one. It was downright amazing-and trust me, I'm not over exaggerating. When I first bought it, hardcover, from Borders-it was at night. So I went home and read it unitl two o'clock in the morning. I pretty much pried my eyes from the pages. Overall, it's a little longer book with 384 pages, so it took a little time to finish it. I knew I needed sleep so unwillingly I stopped reading. And then once I woke up, I read the rest.

When waiting for a book for so long, you build up high expectations and most of the time they don't live up to them. But in this case, it overexceeded my expectations. It was amazingly written with a great plotline and one sexy bad boy character (Daniel). And who doesn't like a good bad boy in a book? I know I do.

Will I reread it?
Of course, now that I'm writing about it-I kind of want to read it right now. It was defiantly worth the hardcover price (eighteen or so dollars out of my own pocket). And I recommend it to everyone.

For clarification: the main plot of the book includes a good girl (Grace) falling for a bad boy (Daniel) so if your looking for something along those lines, this is the perfect book for you. It probably made my top ten list, and will probably make yours too.

One more thing: The cover is downright beautiful. I admire the art of it so much. Right now, it has to be one of the best cover's I've seen.  So good job! And I look forward to reading more from Bree Despain.

2 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

You're making me want to reread it too! Awesome review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I have this one waiting for me :) Great review.