Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Iron King by Julia Kagawa

The Iron King by Julia Kagawa
Publication Date: February 1, 2010
Versions: paperback, kindle

Summary (from barnesandnoble.com):
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…



Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.


When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.


But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

This was probably one of the more action packed books I've read. This is mainly because I don't buy them solely for the reason I'm a romance junkie. Pixies and faeries aren't my first choice either so I was, at first really hesitant to pick it up. But after all the raving about it and all the "Team Puck" or "Team Ash" going around-I knew I needed to join in and pick my own team.

So now that I've read it, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It actually was very similar to The Narnia Chronicles. I've never read the books but the whole going into the closet into another world was among the same plot line. And at times I felt like I was watching the movie all over again. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and am excited for the sequel.

Will I reread it?
Probably, it was very exciting and was very different from anything else I've been reading. And if you're wondering: I'm team Ash-all the way. There's just something about those bad boys!

10 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

I have this book sitting on my shelf right now! Great review, I like how you say if you would read it again, that to me is the mark of a great book!

And I'm a romance junkie too :)

emily said...

Interesting review...Does that mean you liked the book? I've been thinking about getting it for a while now.

sarah darlington said...

We've really been thinking alike lately. This is the next book on my list to read. I was so excited about it I bought it. (Which I never usually do.) I'm pretty sure I'll be team Ash. Just guessing here though.

I like how you do the re-read thing by the way.

Sara said...

Awesome review! I wasn't sure about this one, but now I think I'm going to check it our for sure :D

Darlyn said...

Awesome review Morgan! It already on my TBR list and hoping I could read it soon =)

Jenny said...

I'm only about halfway through this book but I had been thinking it was similar to Narnia too.

Anonymous said...

This has been on my wish list for a while. I keep reading good things about it.

Sara said...

Interesting! I'm not a big fan of faeries or pixies either, so I've stayed clear of this book for the same reason. Sounds like it's quite enjoyable though!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Hehehe - I'm Team Ash too :)

Marce said...

The covers are gorgeous but they are not my cup of tea. Found your blog from a scavenger hunt.

Enjoy reading the rest of the series.