Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking
Publication Date: March 17, 2010
Versions: paperback, kindle

Summary (from goodreads):
Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.

I know a lot of people have different opinions on this novel. I felt it was well written and very interesting. One night Alice and her best friend are walking home after trying to get into a club, when a group of men start harassing Alice. But a boy, by the name of Jack, comes to their rescue and before long Alice starts hanging out with the mysterious Jack several times. Jacks not normal, girls look at him like they're hypnotized and he keeps a lot of secrets from Alice. Alice doesn't mind, though, because she likes being around him, it calms her. But then she finds out he's a vampire and that she's connected to their family. Before long, her whole view of the world changes.

Like I said earlier, there are a lot of mixed reviews about this book. Some people have posted very cruel remarks on Amazon.com which I thought didn't deserve it-no one deserves to be put down. Most of the negatives about this book are grammar, since Amanda Hocking self published this novel, the editing isn't the best. And I have to agree that it could have been better but it doesn't take away from the concept of the novel. The second concern is that it's a copy of Twilight. I saw the similarities when reading, especially at the beginning, but how can you not have similarities when the book is about vampires! There's only so many ways you can go with it.

Will I reread it?
Probably not, but I will gladly read and enjoy her other novels. Amanda has made it big and has a large fan base-and I can see why. Her writing captures the teenager voice and her characters are very interesting. I would recommend this to any "Twilighter".

No comments: